Singapore Youth Festival Central Judging for Chinese Orchestra:
- 2015 – Distinction Award
- 2013 – Distinction Award
- 2011 – Gold Award
- 2009 – Silver Award
- 2007 – Silver Award
21st Century International Chinese Orchestra Competition in Genting
- 2010 – Gold Award
Highlight(s) of Activities
- Chinese New Year Concert Performance
- School Anniversary Celebration
- School Public Performance
- Teachers’ Day Celebration
- Mid-Autumn Celebration
- External Performances (eg: Inter-school Cultural Exchange – 2015, Opening of the Sports Hub – 2014)
- Singapore Youth Festival
- Chinese Orchestra Camp
The Chinese Orchestra is one of the most active performing arts group in our school. We have performed in many school events, namely the Sec 1 Open House, Lunar New Year Concert, Speech Day Concert, School Public Performance and National Day Celebration.
Student musicians are also given many opportunities to develop themselves musically through participation in instrumental master classes conducted by our instructors. Joining the Chinese Orchestra has enabled many of our students to have the skill of being able to play a Chinese instrument, for example the Erhu or Pipa, thus expanding their musical knowledge.
Because of this, many will be able to come in touch with the Chinese culture through music. The commitment, perseverance and the need to work together as a team to improve one’s skill also enhances the maturity of our members and thus building their confidence and self-esteem. Through this learning journey, students will pick up valuable leadership skills and cultivate a habit of continual practice and independent learning.
- To promote the Chinese culture and an appreciation for music in Nan Chiau High School, and in particular, Chinese music
- To promote independence, discipline and leadership skills
- To foster close ties and team spirit among members of the Chinese Orchestra